So, I decided the best idea was to make some yogurt of my own. Bought a yogurt maker (which is not strictly necessary, but does simplify the incubation process) and got started.
First I found out that the 8 hours recommended by my yogurt machine wasn't nearly enough time, and I ended up with warm milk.
Then I tried 12 hours, which made a nice textured yogurt, but was so tart I practically puckered up every time I tried a bite.
The next experiment was for 10 hours... still very tart and now not nearly as firm.
I've been doing a little research and found a few helpful sites:
This site says NOT to use pasteurized goat milk (not sure why)
This site says you shouldn't use ultra-pasteurized milk (which Meyenberg goat milk, found at my grocery store is)
Some sites say to boil the milk first, others to warm to 180 degrees. Some say to add powdered milk for thicker yogurt, others say not to.
So far I haven't had a batch that I would subject my family to eating, they would run for the hills and never try another batch!
However, I'll keep trying...
No comments:
Post a Comment